Wasps are never fun
Movies make wasps look so cool, fun, and admirable, but in reality wasps are never fun guests to have at picnics, barbecue, or while hanging out in the back yard. And, it seems as if they are everywhere in St. George, Cedar City, and Tropic. Wasp stings contain venom and can be quite painful and even though many people recovery quickly, some may have allergic reactions. However, there are many home remedies to avoid stings and to quickly recover from stings*.
How to avoid wasp stings:
It is possible to not get stung by wasps, even while having an outdoor picnic or spending time in the yard close to wasp nests. Here are some tips on how to do it:
- Never deliberately disturb a wasp nest. It may sound silly, but by avoiding wasps’ nests (even the ones you want to knock down), will help you avoid getting stung. If you want to get a nest down, give us a call and we will gladly come help you. If you accidentally disturb a nest, keep away until the commotion has settled.
- Watch the flight paths of wasp as the get close to their nest. Avoid their direct path into their nest.
- If you think you are about to be attacked, quickly run into an area with thick vegetation. The leaves will brush most of the wasp off.
- If you are working in the garden or going for a hike, wear long pants and shirts.
- Never panic if a wasp settles on you. If you are not harming it, it will usually fly off on its own.
- If you are out & about and want to stop for a snack break, check your area for wasp nests.
How to treat wasp stings
If you still get stung by a wasp, regardless of our great tips, don’t panic. If you are stung and are having a mild to moderate reaction, you can usually treat them at home*. Here are some tips to treat your wasp sting:
- Wash the sting area with soap and water to remove as much of the venom as possible
- Another option is vinegar. Experts say that the acidity of the vinegar neutralizes the alkalinity of the venom in the wasp sting
- Apply a cold pack to the sting site to reduce the swelling and pain
- Keep the bite clean and dry (to prevent infection)
- Cover the bite with a bandage
- Uses calamine lotion if the bite itches or if the skin irritation becomes bothersome. If you don’t have calamine lotion, baking soda and oatmeal will also soothe the skin
If you haven’t gotten a tetanus shot within the last 10 years, doctors recommend getting a shot within several days of the sting
At Bybee Pest Control, we want you to enjoy a wasp-free (and sting-free) summer. If wasps persist to bother you and your family, give us a call. We service homes and businesses around Utah, including Saint George, Cedar City, Washington, Dammeron Valley, Diamond Valley, Parowan, Hurricane, La Verkin, Toquerville, Enoch, Santa Clara, Ivins, and Salt Lake City
*Here at Bybee Pest Control, we are pest experts, but not medical experts. If symptoms persist, please contact your physician as soon as possible. If there is an allergic reaction, use an EpiPen as soon as symptoms begin or and/or call 911.